Hi! Welcome to the Insider Advertising daily for October 2. I'm Tanya Dua, a senior advertising reporter at Business Insider, filling in for my colleague Lauren Johnson while she's away this week. Subscribe here to get this newsletter in your inbox every weekday. Send me feedback or tips at [email protected]
Today's news: Google's latest product for news publishers, advice from Instagram's beauty and fashion brand whisperer, McDonald's new "positive change" team, and stories you may have missed in September.
Google is going to pay publishers $1 billion to contribute to a new product called News Showcase
- Google said it would pay a group of news publications $1 billion over the next three years to contribute to a new product called Google News Showcase.
- The new product, which will feature specially written and curated news content, was announced by Google CEO Sundar Pichai on Thursday, and is launching first in Germany and Brazil.
- "This approach is distinct from our other news products because it leans on the editorial choices individual publishers make about which stories to show readers and how to present them," Pichai said.
Read the full story here.
Instagram's fashion and beauty brand whisperer shares her best tips on how to use the platform
- Kristie Dash is the fashion and beauty strategic partnerships manager at Instagram, where she works to promote new features like Reels with influencers and brands.
- Dash spoke to Sydney Bradley about how Instagram responded to early criticism of Reels, how influencers and brands can make the most of its features, and how it's working to help creators make money on the platform.
Read the full story here.
McDonald's hires ex-Obama advisor to lead a new team focused on 'positive change,' as the company doubles down on values in the midst of scandals
- McDonald's is creating a new Global Impact Team focused on creating "positive change," as the fast-food giant faces a slew of controversies, reports Kate Taylor.
- It hired Katie Beirne Fallon, who previously served as President Barack Obama's senior advisor and director of legislative affairs, to lead the new team.
- McDonald's is facing allegations of misconduct against its ex-CEO and former head of HR, as well as racial-discrimination lawsuits from Black franchisees and corporate executives.
Click here to read the full story.
It's officially fall, but before we're well into October, take a look at the stories our readers most loved in September:
- Cision and Meltwater, the two largest PR software companies, are planning a merger, and the DoJ has explored whether it would hurt competition
- A leaked pitch deck from Cision shows the PR software giant is trying to sell a company it bought last year for $225 million
- Meet 9 top recruiters in media to know right now
- Meet the rising stars of brand marketing
Other stories we're reading:
- Rent the Runway CEO Jennifer Hyman, one of the most successful female founders, is fighting to save her company (Business Insider)
- TikTok employees describe life inside the company as its future hangs in the balance (Business Insider)
- Trump's campaign has spent up to $40,000 on Facebook ads promoting baseless rumors that Biden wears an earpiece (Business Insider)
- Amazon Rushes to Remove Shirts That Appeared After Trump Told Extremist Group to 'Stand By' (Adweek)
- Former Airbnb Marketing Chief Jonathan Mildenhall Joins Banking Startup Dave (The Wall Street Journal)
- Quibi Needs Subscribers Fast Before It Runs Out of Cash (Bloomberg)
Thanks for reading! Feel free to reach me at [email protected] and subscribe to this daily email here.
Get the latest Google stock price here.
Source: Read Full Article