DISHWASHER not running as efficiently as it used to? It could be in need of a deep clean – so we've picked out the best dishwasher cleaner for tackling the problem.
We may rely on them to leave our kitchenware spick and span, but over time, gunk and grime can build up in the filter and component parts of our dishwashers – leaving them clogged and smelling just a little bit iffy.
Luckily, it's easy to keep your machine smelling fresh and running as it should with some regular cleaning. And even better: the best dishwasher cleaner will make light work of it.
But what do we know? To make sure you're getting the most bang for your buck we asked cleaning expert Nicola, A.K.A the Essex House Dolly, for her favourite products and some tips and tricks for a sparkling dishwasher.
Best dishwasher cleaners at a glance
- Best for removing odours: Fabulosa White Vinegar Spray
- Best for protecting your dishwasher: Crystale Rinse Aid
- Best tablets to use in conjunction with your cleaner: smol Dishwasher Tabs
- Best intensive treatment: Dr. Beckmann Service-it Deep Clean
- Best budget buy: Crystale Dishwasher Cleaner
- Best for a burst of freshness: Finish Dishwasher Freshener
- Best washing machine cleaners
- Best shower cleaners
- The best mattress toppers
- Best floor cleaners
- Best eco-friendly cleaning products
1. Best for removing odours: Fabulosa White Vinegar Spray
- Fabulosa White Vinegar Spray, £1.50 from Amazon – buy here
We all know the incredible cleaning benefits of white vinegar. So Fabulosa has worked its magic on an already staple cleaning product by adding its signature rose fragrance.
Shoppers love it, with one noting that it smells great without losing its cleaning properties.
Nicola says "Unlike most white vinegar sprays, this particular one has a white wine fragrance which does help not to live that ‘vinegary fish and chip shop’ smell after you have used it".
Designed to eliminate odours, simply spray it into your dishwasher and wipe clean for an instant boost of freshness.
2. Best for protecting your dishwasher: Crystale Rinse Aid
- Crystale Rinse Aid, £1.49 from Amazon – buy here
Using a rinse aid when you run a wash is a must – not only for bringing things up sparkly clean, but for protecting your dishwasher too.
Crystale's streak-free formula promises to do just that, and is rated highly by shoppers for its value and performance, with one noting: "This stuff does a cracking job as well as being excellent value for money".
Meanwhile, another happy customer says they're "surprised it leaves less residue than some of the big brands".
3. Best tablets to use in conjunction with your cleaner: smol Dishwasher Tabs
- Smol dishwasher tabs, £5.80 (30 tablet pack) from SMOL – buy here
Smol is an eco-friendly brand that's shaking up the cleaning industry with its subscription products that are delivered to your door when you need them.
And when it comes to your dishwasher, the company claims to have created "the most effective concentrated dishwash tablet in the world", meaning that you won't need to buy salt or rinse-aid.
Even better, smol uses lower levels of added chemicals per wash – so cleaning your dishwasher should be easier than ever, with less toxic build-up.
4. Best intensive treatment: Dr. Beckmann Service-it Deep Clean
- Dr. Beckmann Service-it Deep Clean, £2.07 from Amazon – buy here
When your dishwasher is in need of a deep clean, Dr. Beckmann Service-it Deep Clean is the product you need in your life.
Recommended for use every two months or after 30 cycles, it uses activated carbon: a wonder ingredient that absorbs dirt and odours and leaves your machine super clean and satisfyingly fresh.
It's really simple to use too. Just pour it into the drum, run an empty cycle and hey presto: your machine will be sparkly clean.
5. Best budget buy: Crystale Dishwasher Cleaner
- Crystale Dishwasher Cleaner, £3.92 from Amazon – buy here
Prefer to shop from a smaller brand? Crystale is much-loved for its budget products that are not only friendly on the purse strings – but actually work amazingly well too.
With grime and limescale being one of the main causes of odours and poor dishwasher performance, this cleaner gets straight to the root of the problem.
The proof is in the pudding too. One reviewer reports back: "Got rid of the stench coming from our Dishwasher. Cleans so much better too. If used every month, it will keep your machine working like new."
6. Best burst of freshness: Finish Dishwasher Freshener
- Finish Dishwasher Freshener, £9.99 from Amazon – buy here
When opening your dishwasher is enough to put you off and close it again: it's definitely time to take action.
Thankfully, Finish's Dishwasher Freshener is designed to rectify the problem, with 'scent control technology' (who knew that was a thing) that delivers a hit of lemon and lime when you open your dishwasher.
The fragrance won't transfer onto your dishes, handily, so it's a win if you simply want a nicer-smelling dishwasher.
How to clean your dishwasher
Cleaning Expert Nicola from the Cleaning House Dolly has a few steps she follows to ensures her dishwasher is left sparkling.
- Remove the filter on the floor of your dishwasher and the cutlery holder. Pour boiling water over them to remove gunk and grime and set aside while you clean the rest of the machine.
- Pour one cup of white vinegar and place it at the bottom of an empty dishwasher. Run it on a hot cycle and it should "break down any remaining bits of food, grease, soap scum, residue, and any other leftover grime".
- Give the dishwasher a once over and reinsert the filter and cutlery holder.
- Repeat this process every 3-6 months to deepclean, while supplementing with dishwasher cleaners to keep it clean inbetween cleans.
Source: Read Full Article