CHOOSING what to wear for a christening can be tricky because the dress code isn’t as clear as weddings or funerals.
Whether you’re going to be a godmother, or simply attending your neighbour’s cousin’s baby’s christening, you need to scrub up well – it’s a celebration after all.
What is appropriate to wear to a christening?
A shared rule is to avoid darker colourways, instead choose lighter hues and pastels to bring bright positive vibes. You can even wear white too…it won’t cause a stir like it would at a wedding.
Most christenings take place between spring and autumn, so you can opt for floaty dresses, lightweight skirts and linen suits.
If you’re invited to a christening at a church, you should cover your shoulders for traditional reasons, but also to keep warm as they can be extra draughty too.
To help you answer that age-old question of what to wear, we've selected some fabulous outfits that you can buy online now.
Sweet and Sophisticated
Oversized tailoring goes over literally anything, so it's always good to have a versatile blazer on hand.
Wear yours with a pretty floral mini dress like this one by Topshop, then match your accessories and shoes.
We can't get enough of River Island's designer-replica woven heels. They'll definitely be ones you'll want to wear after you've worn this outfit at the Christening.
- Topshop 70s Floral Jersey Tea Dress in Multi, £30 from ASOS – buy here
- Whistles Easton Leather Half Moon Clutch Bag, Black, £69 from John Lewis – buy here
- Red Woven Block Heel Mules, £48 from River Island – buy here
- Beige Double Breasted Blazer, £65 from River Island – buy here
Jeans and a Nice Top
A universal trusty go-to for your smarter-than-average dress code is jeans, heels and a nice top. This outfit just goes to show, if it ain't broke why fix it.
The White High Neck Blouse is classic, the leather boots work all year round and you'll keep the jeans for day-in-day-out wear too.
Marry sophistication and style by adding a pop of colour with your accessories.
- ALDO Ciswen Resin Loop Link Earrings in Multi and Gold, £12 from ASOS – buy here
- White High Neck Blouse, £30 from River Island – buy here
- Mood Cut Jeans, £65 from &OtherStories – buy here
- Avril Heeled Boots Taupe Leather, £95 from Office – buy here
- Skinnydip Alice Check Quilted Cross Body Bag in Blue, £26 from ASOS – buy here
Pretty in Pastels
Pastel colours have been trending for the past year, which is a better reason than any to really go all out for your next special occasion, like a Christening.
Don't be afraid of wearing various colours all at once, especially when they go so well together, like lilac, pink and pale green.
We adore M&S' collaboration with Ghost on this satin wrap dress, and pearls finish off the pastel colour-palette with the sweetest touch. Obsessed.
- M&S X Ghost Satin V-Neck Midi Wrap Dress, £79 from M&S – buy here
- Heeled Leather Square Toe Sandal, £85 from &OtherStories – buy here
- Perla Chunky Pearl Silver Drop Earrings, £36 from Oliver Bonas – buy here
- Staud Bean Ruched-Leather Clutch Bag, £160 from Selfridges – buy here
We've created Sun Selects so you can find the best items when shopping around the web.
Check out our guides here for more dress code inspirations.
Source: Read Full Article