Drew Barrymore is opening up about returning to her daytime talk show amid the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes. Earlier this year, The Drew Barrymore Show host walked away from her hosting duties at MTV Movie & TV Awards in support of the writers.
“I made a choice to walk away from the MTV, film and television awards because I was the host and it had a direct conflict with what the strike was dealing with which was studios, streamers, film, and television,” Barrymore said in a statement she shared on Instagram. “It was also in the first week of the strike and so I did what I thought was the appropriate thing at the time to stand in solidarity with the writers.”
SAG-AFTRA Strike: 30,000 Sign Petition Urging UK Government To Finance Out-Of-Work Creatives
Patricia Arquette Slams AI At SAG-AFTRA & ACTRA TIFF Picket: "All We're Going To Have Is Giant, Mega Marvel Movies"
She continued, “And to be clear, our talk show actually wrapped on April 20th so we never had to shut down the show. However, I am also making the choice to come back for the first time in this strike for our show, that may have my name on it but this is bigger than just me.”
The Drew Barrymore Show Season 4 is set to premiere on Monday, September 18, a choice that Barrymore said is all on her and will be in compliance with the SAG-AFTRA and WGA strike rules.
“I own this choice. We are in compliance with not discussing or promoting film and television that is struck of any kind,” she added. “We launched live in a global pandemic. Our show was built for sensitive times and has only functioned through what the real world is going through in real time.”
Barrymore continued, “I want to be there to provide what writers do so well, which is a way to bring us together or help us make sense of the human experience. I hope for a resolve for everyone as soon as possible. We have navigated difficult times since we first came on air. And so I take a step forward to start season 4 once again with an astute humility.”
A spokesperson for CBS Media Ventures, which is behind the daytime talker, said in a statement to Deadline, “The Drew Barrymore Show will not be performing any writing work covered by the WGA strike.”
Additionally, WGAE is planning to picket the show starting Monday, September 11, when tapings for the new season are set to begin in New York. The lineup of guests for the show’s first week has not been announced yet.
“The Drew Barrymore Show is a WGA-covered, struck show. It has stayed off the air since the strike began on May 2nd, but has now (unfortunately) decided to return without its writers,” a WGAE spokesperson told Deadline in a statement. “The Guild has, and will continue to, picket any struck show that continues production for the duration of the strike.”
Must Read Stories
‘Conjuring’ Universe Sequel Meets Its Mark With $32M+ Opening Frame
‘Poor Things’ Wins Golden Lion; Sarsgaard, Spaeny Take Acting Prizes; More
WGA Says Several Companies Have “Desire” To Make Deal; AMPTP Calls Claim False
SAG-AFTRA President Fran Drescher Easily Reelected; Joely Fisher Also Wins Big
Read More About:
Source: Read Full Article